This is my kids’ favorite pancake/waffle recipe and it’s really simple to make. I adapted it from this King Arthur Sourdough Waffle or Pancake recipe, but with healthier, real food ingredients, and more options like spelt flour or milk in place of buttermilk.
This is a great recipe for sourdough discard instead of dumping it down the sink or composting it.
Remember to start it the night before, and to use unfed starter (although I’ve used recently fed starter too and it still works out).
It’s also a really flexible recipe. You can use white all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, or spelt flour. All of them turn out fabulous. You can also used plain milk or A2 milk if you don’t have buttermilk.
Also remember if you are new at sourdough not to use all of your starter to make this. If you only have 1 cup of starter, you’ll want to feed and double your starter a day, or a few days, before you make this. That way you still have some starter left to make future delicious recipes like this Simple Homemade Sourdough Bread.
If you don’t know all the benefits of sourdough, and how these waffles/pancakes might even be gluten free, check out this article: Wheat: to Eat or Not to Eat? + the Sourdough Solution.
Easy Sourdough Waffles or Pancakes
- waffle iron or griddle
- 2 cups whole grain spelt or wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup or honey
- 2 cups buttermilk or milk
- 1 cup sourdough starter, unfed/discard
Waffle or Pancake Batter
- all of the overnight sponge
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup coconut oil or butter melted
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together the 1 cup unfed starter, flour, maple syrup, and buttermilk.
- Cover and let rest at room temperature for about 8-12 hours, or overnight.
- Stir the remaining ingredients into the overnight sponge.
- Pour batter onto greased, heated waffle iron or griddle until golden brown and slightly crisp.
- Serve immediately with melted butter, pure maple syrup, jam, cinnamon applesauce or peanut butter.
Let me know how your sourdough waffles or pancakes turn out!
- 9 Overlooked Reasons You Aren’t Losing Weight
- Simple Sourdough Waffles or Pancakes | Spelt or Wheat
- Simple Sourdough Bread Recipe for Beginners
- Health Benefits of Sourdough Bread
- Healing Chocolate Pudding| No Cornstarch, Gelatin, Low Sugar