I love this healthy chocolate milkshake because it has no added sugar, only needs 5 ingredients, and about 5 minutes to make. It has lots of protein and healthy fats so it keeps us full for a long time. This shake is as chocolatey as you want it to be, and it’s delicious! Also, it’s super easy to clean up!Jump to Recipe
We honestly make this milkshake recipe ALMOST every day of the week.
Anytime you have bananas starting to get a little ripe, peel them and throw them in the freezer to use in your next chocolate shake!
Smoothies are a great way to get in lots of nutrient rich fruits and veggies in a delicious format. If you make them a lot, like me, I highly recommend the Vitamix blender. Mine has a 7 year warranty and I can make huge batches and keep them nice and thick and smooth.
Every other blender I’ve had breaks after a year or less, or doesn’t blend well unless I add lots of liquid (and I don’t like runny smoothies). If you can’t upgrade to a Vitamix yet, no worries. We’ve made this recipe for years with a number of different blenders!
Bonus: All of my kids ages 6 and above can make this healthy chocolate milkshake on their own.
Another tip: this actually makes awesome Homemade Chocolate Popsicles!
I prefer to use whole A2 milk in my milkshakes because it allows us to have nutrient-rich, real milk without causing eczema in my daughter, or acne and anxiety for me. It adds extra protein, healthy fats, vitamins like B12, and minerals like phosphorus and calcium. (If you don’t know about A2 milk, definitely check out Benefits of A2 Milk)
I’ll give you the general recipe we follow, but I never actually measure this stuff out. This will get you started, but you can adapt it to make it more or less chocolatey, banana-ey, or peanut-butter-ey, according to your tastes. Enjoy!
Healthy Chocolate PB Milkshake
- Vitamix blender
- 2-3 Frozen ripe bananas (or ripe fresh bananas and lots of ice)
- 1/4 cup Natural peanut butter (or cashew butter, almond butter or sun butter)
- 2-3 tbsp cocoa or cacao powder
- 2 tbsp chia seeds or flax seed
- Milk or your choice- A2 milk, goat, almond, rice or other milk of your choice
- Add ingredients to the blender in order. (I finally got this Vitamix blender because we make smoothies like this almost daily, and it makes a much thicker, smoother shake.)
- Add just enough milk to allow the blender to mix the ingredients. This will keep your milkshake nice and thick.
- Blend until smooth.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
Leave me a comment and let me know how you like your smoothies!