This healthy cheese sauce recipe uses only real food ingredients, and takes 10 minutes or less to whip up.
It’s super easy to make and is great on:
- homemade mac and cheese (try chickpea, lentil or rice pasta if you are allergic/sensitive to wheat). PS: chickpeas and garbanzo beans are the same thing.
- broccoli and other veggies
- nachos with ground beef, or shredded pork, chopped peppers, onions, the works (organic blue corn tortilla chips are yummy).
Let me know in the comments what you plan to pair it with!
Some more tips for adjusting this recipe for food allergies or sensitivities that are very common with joint pain sufferers:
- A2 cow milk is usually better tolerated than regular milk. I explain A2 milk here.
- Cornstarch is (presumably) more prone to cause inflammation than arrowroot starch, but corn is tested on the MRT food sensitivity test, while arrowroot is not.
- Ghee doesn’t have as good of flavor as butter, but is less likely to cause food sensitivity reactions because most of the milk protein solids are removed. I have never tried it, but it could make a good substitute if you are eating dairy-free.
This recipe is compliant with later stages of LEAP diet and MRT food sensitivity test since all the ingredients except butter are tested.
If you’d like to take the guesswork out of figuring out which foods are triggering your joint pain symptoms, I’d love to help you order your own MRT (Mediator Release Test) and teach you how to find the root causes of your joint pain and reverse them using food as medicine!
Healthy Cheese Sauce
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp cornstarch or arrowroot starch
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1.5 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- turmeric powder dash of
- garlic powder dash of
- Melt the butter in the saucepan over medium-low heat.
- Stir the milk in with the melted butter.
- Whisk in the cornstarch next, and cook over medium heat until it thickens (about 3 minutes). Remove from heat.
- Stir in the cheese until melted.
- Season with salt, pepper, turmeric, and garlic powder to taste.
- Serve warm over mac n cheese, potatoes, broccoli, nachos, or the dish of your choice! Enjoy!!