If you love quick, real food meals with simple ingredients that the whole family loves… well, you will love this recipe.
Double and it and use the leftovers to make these 30 Minute Stuffed Peppers!
This is a go-to at my house because I usually have all the ingredients and it’s fast.
It is so easy to make, my kids can even cook it pretty much by themselves. (My oldest child is 11).
It is wheat, gluten and nightshade free (I don’t add the peppers) for my husband who has autoimmune diseases and several food sensitivities.
It also works really well for those of you starting the LEAP diet, because the ingredients can easily be swapped out for foods you aren’t sensitive to:
- switch up the type of ground meat you use to pork, turkey, or venison
- substitute the rice for quinoa, or even buckwheat, barley or wheat berries
- add in beans or substitute beans for either the rice or the ground beef if needed
- flavor with scallions, onions, garlic, leeks, peppers, whatever works with your protocol
- salt is safe for every LEAP protocol, so season liberally with that if other options are limited
I also don’t mind a meal that doesn’t dirty a lot of pots and pans. This casserole uses only a skillet (if you use leftover rice) or a skillet and rice cooker/pot if you have to make your rice fresh. Either way it is super simple clean-up.
My kids prefer when I serve this meal with the rice, meat and cheese all seperate so they can mix and match the ingredients however they like. This is an easy way to keep 7 different people happy with the dinner options 🙂
20 Min Cheesy Ground Beef and Rice Casserole
- 1 lb ground beef OR ground pork, turkey, venison, etc
- 1 cup diced onion, celery, garlic, leeks, peppers OR other veggies of your choice
- 2 cups cooked brown rice OR quinoa; great use of leftovers
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese OR another cheese OR omit if not okay for your LEAP diet
- salt & pepper to taste
- Brown the ground beef in a large skillet over medium/high heat.
- Add the veggies and saute until softened.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove from heat or turn to low.
- Stir in the pre-cooked rice or quinoa.
- Sprinkle with cheese and serve warm.
If you try it, please comment and let us know how it went!