These gluten-free meatballs with sweet & sour sauce are a go-to meal for us. Not only are they wheat-free (a requirement for my husband’s arthritis), they are easy (no browning in a pan before baking) and they use healthy, real-food ingredients.
These also work great for many of my clients with food allergies or who are using LEAP/MRT to pin down their food sensitivities, heal their guts, and improve joint pain. The recipe is easily adaptable for LEAP diet protocols, and AIP or paleo eating plans. I will include some substitution options in the recipe.
I love that the meatballs sneak in some oh-so-important dark orange veggies. And the sweet and sour sauce is simple to whip up with zero added sugars. It even throws in some anti-inflammatory foods like bone broth, turmeric and ginger.
This recipe is one of those great family-friendly recipes that even my kids love. I usually serve the sauce and meatballs separately so everyone can add as much or as little sauce as they like, and we can keep everyone happy.
This makes a quick, easy meal served over a bed of steamed rice or quinoa, and fresh stir-fried vegetables which you can buy pre-cut in most produce sections these days.
I’d love to know what you think. Leave a comment below.
Recipe adapted from http://theemancipatedepicure.weebly.com/blog/sweet-sour-meatballs.
Sweet & Sour Gluten Free Turkey Meatballs Recipe
Without any further delay, here is the recipe!
Gluten Free Turkey Meatballs with Sweet & Sour Sauce
- blender or food processor
- 1 lb. ground turkey, beef, chicken, or pork
- 1/2 cup sweet potato puree Leftover mashed sweet potato works great. Or microwave a sweet potato and mash it up.
- 1 tsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 2 tsp. onion powder
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper optional
- 1/2 tsp. mustard powder optional
Sweet & Sour Sauce
- 4 cups fresh or canned pineapple cubes (about 1/2 a pineapple)
- 1/2 cup bone broth, cool
- 3 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. 2 tsp. raw honey
- 3 tsp. fresh, grated ginger
- 3 tsp. arrowroot starch or cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp. turmeric powder
- sprinkle of salt
- Preheat the oven to 450F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or foil.
- Place all ingredients in a medium mixing bowl and knead until fully combined.
- Take 1 Tbsp. of mixture at a time and roll into balls. Place evenly on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 12-15 min. (They are done when cooked through and starting to brown.) While they are baking, make the sauce.
Sweet & Sour Sauce
- Puree pineapple in a blender or food processor (you should end up with 1 cup pineapple puree).
- In a small bowl or cup, stir together bone broth and arrowroot starch or cornstarch. Put into a large saucepan along with the pineapple and the rest of the ingredients. Whisk together.
- Cook over medium heat, constantly whisking until the sauce has boiled and thickened.