These are some of the best gluten free, dairy free pancakes I’ve ever had! Almond flour pancakes tend to be heavy, but these are as light and fluffy as almond flour pancakes can get!
The key to fluffy is keeping these pancakes cute and small … like mini, silver-dollar pancakes. This also helps them cook well in the middle and stay lighter.
Like all of my recipes, the ingredient list is short and sweet. They are super easy to make!
Since gluten and dairy are 2 major culprits for causing joint pain, this is a fabulous recipe for those with sensitivities who want to keep pancakes in their diet.
Sugar is another common joint pain trigger, so I highly recommend finding some non-sugar or low-sugar toppings for your pancakes:
- Unsweetened applesauce and cinnamon
- Plenty of real butter, ghee, or coconut oil
- Peanut butter (the “real” kind you have to stir), almond butter, or SunButter
- Berries (even simmered with a little sugar over them to make a berry syrup will probably end up being less sugar than syrup)
- If you do use syrup, use real maple syrup (not high-fructose corn syrup with maple flavoring!)
Food sensitivities are a very common problem in joint pain diseases such as psoriatic arthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, fibromyalgia, and many more.
Another pancake that is often tolerated well by people with arthritis and joint pain is this Sourdough Waffle or Pancake Recipe. Even when I make these with wheat flour, the overnight soak with the sourdough start pre-digests the wheat enough that these do not bother my wheat-intolerant husband. Read about the Benefit of Sourdough here.
If you’d love to take the guesswork out of figuring out your food sensitivities, I’d love to work with you! We can order a Mediator Release Test for you and guide you through the steps to overcome your food sensitivities and other root causes of YOUR joint pain.
Fluffy Almond Flour Pancakes
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp honey or maple syrup
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup ground flax
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- coconut oil for cooking
- Whisk together eggs, water, vanilla, and honey (or maple syrup) in a large bowl.
- Add in almond flour, ground flax, salt, and baking soda, mixing until well combined.
- Heat coconut oil in a skillet over medium low to medium heat.
- Scoop about a tablespoon of batter onto skillet. The key to keep them fluffy is to keep them small! They are ready to flip when the bubbles in the batter burst.
- When they are done cooking, move pancakes to a plate.
- Repeat with all of the batter, adding more coconut oil to the skillet as needed.
*Recipe adapted from Elana’s Pantry: https://elanaspantry.com/recipes/