Grilling season is a favorite in our family! But for those of you suffering from joint pain and trying to eat healthier… store-bought barbeque sauces do NOT always make the cut.
Have no fear! This delicious BBQ sauce recipe is the healthiest, easiest one I’ve found. We think it’s even tastier than store-bought barbeque sauces too!!
I typically have all of these ingredients on hand, and it’s easy to adapt this recipe to food sensitivities that may be causing joint pain.
My husband’s joint pain is triggered by peppers of all kinds (except black pepper) so we adapt this recipe for him by replacing the cayenne pepper with a generous helping of black pepper.
You may need to make other adaptations depending on your own MRT test results.
If you’d love some help figuring out which food sensitivities are causing joint pain for you, along with other root causes, I’d love to be your guide! Don’t hesitate to reach out and work with me!
Enjoy! and be sure to comment with how you’ve adapted this recipe to work for you! Your ideas might inspire other readers who need adaptation ideas!
Recipe adapted from: https://ifoodreal.com/healthy-bbq-sauce/
Healthiest BBQ Sauce
- 1 Cup water
- 6 oz can tomato paste
- 1/2 Cup applesauce, unsweetened
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 4 tbsp raw honey OR maple syrup
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp yellow mustard
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp liquid smoke
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- Add all ingredients to a saucepan and whisk together until smooth and completely mixed.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 20 minutes, partially covering the saucepan with a lid. Stir frequently so the sauce doesn't burn.
- Allow to cool before you transfer to a glass jar. Enjoy!! Can be stored in the fridge for a month or freezer for 3 months.